One of our favorite hacks is to construct a beach wheelchair out of PVC pipes and Balloon Wheels. This chair is one of the best ways to roll on the beach and, because it’s homemade, is highly customizable! Watch for this and other Life Hacks soon!
- “Side by Side” is a wheelchair attachment that is now patent-pending. The raised handlebar-style accessory attaches to the front of the wheelchair so that a user and caregiver can travel side by side rather than front to back, allowing for easier communication and interaction. (http://www.psfk.com/2013/09/wheelchair-redesign-side-by-side.html)
- The adapted croquet mallet combines a croquet hammer with an ortho forearm crutch, allowing for greater stability throughout the game (http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/clubman/disabled/)
- WheelchairDriver offers design ideas for the ambitious. His designs include some hydraulics, but make for durable day chairs that can take on difficult terrain. (http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/off-road-powerchair.htm)
- Sewing Support has free bag patterns for wheelchair and walker users, handy for DIY-ers who know how to sew or knew someone who can. (http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-how-to/free-patterns-and-projects/bags/wheelchair-walker-bags.html)
- Cyclists loop zip ties around their bicycle tires to give them added traction in the snow. This hack may fit certain wheelchair designs. (http://lifehacker.com/5719594/zip-tie-snow-tires-the-cheapest-way-to-blizzard-proof-your-bike)
- People are using old shampoo bottles to extend the faucet’s reach and make it easier to access. (http://fakingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-make-faucet-extender.html)
- Some people have made custom walkers (usually for kids) and shower chairs/beach wheelchairs out of PVC pipes. (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2e/03/fb/2e03fbeb2038756083449678c8b26061.jpg)